Polk Community College is located in Winter Haven, Florida at 999 Avenue H Northeast. The campus of the college sits right on Lake Elbert. Lake Gem and Lake Martha are also within a few blocks of the campus.
The paramedic program offered through Polk Community College is a three semester certificate program. Each semester is broken into four sections, lecture, lab, EMS clinical and hospital clinical. The program is an intensive 1200 hour program that requires students to be very organized in their work, home, and school life in order to complete it successfully. The course is offered during the day on a week to week schedule. This schedule allows those students who work 24 on with 48 off to complete the course. Applicants are only admitted once per year and are chosen by a selection committee.
The cost to complete the program is approximately $5500. This includes fees, physical exams, books, uniforms and other costs. This does not include the cost of the program prerequisites.
In order to be admitted into the paramedic program there are a minimum number of requirements that must be met, they are as follows:
- Must be admitted into Polk State College and have all admission documents on file
- Overall GPA must be 2.0 or higher at time of application and admission
- All college prep courses in reading, math, and writing must be completed
- Students must complete a college level anatomy and physiology course or Body Systems for the Paramedic.
- Must have an EMT certification from the state of Florida that is current
- A complete and accurate application must be submitted to student services prior to the application deadline.
Additional requirements for the program include completion of a physical examination, complete immunization record, and current CPR certification.
For more information about the program you may contact the program director, Don Guillette at 863-297-1010 extension 5735 or by email at email@example.com.