The paramedic program offered through the County of Fresno Department is affiliated with Fresno County and the State Center Community College. The course takes place at the Fresno City College Fire Academy, located at the Career Training Center . The affiliation between the Fresno Department and the college allow students of the paramedic program to be eligible for 30 college credits.
The paramedic courses begin every year in April and consists of 850 hours Didactic, which includes classroom instruction/lectures and national curriculum; 200 hours clinical, and 480 hours field internship. The didactic portion consists of lectures and workshops and includes the national curriculum requirements, anatomy and physiology and testing hours. The clinical internship includes observation and skills performance.
- must have a valid driver’s license
- have a high school diploma or the equivalent
- must be 18 years of age
- pass a physical examination
- must pass a background check
- must have current immunization records
- must pass drug screening – and stay drug free
- must be EMT certified prior to entering paramedic program
- may not have received a dishonorable military discharge
- must have successfully completed ENG 101 or take the college placement exam and score into ENG 101
- must hold a current CPR card
- must have one year of field experience as an EMS field
Applicants that are eligible for the paramedic education program will be required to take an entrance exam as well as a written test in math, English, and EMT basics. In addition, a skills test will be given on assessing patients, spinal immobilization, traction splint, and childbirth. An oral interview will be conducted as well.
The cost of the Paramedic Training Program is $5,565. This tuition does not include the cost of supplies, books and miscellaneous fees, which are estimated to cost around $400.
The contact person for more information about this program is Debbie Becker who can be reached by calling (559)445-3387. She can also be reached through email.
County of Fresno EMS
1221 Fulton Mall, 5th Floor
P O Box 11867
Fresno CA 93775-1867
Toll Free: (800) 742-1011
FAX: (559) 445-3205
EMS Program e-mail: email@example.com